I set a few goals at the beginning of 2011. I wanted to:
- Recode this site using WordPress’ 3.0’s custom post types and HTML5, plus develop a mobile theme.
- Complete a project in Drupal, Joomla or another CMS.
- Blog more.
- Learn more PHP.
So how did I do? I launched a new site in May, right on par with what I wanted to create. I didn’t quite build a site in Drupal or Joomla, but re-skinned a site using Blackbaud NetCommunity. Not bad. I wrote 42 posts this year, about 10 less than last year, even though it feels like I wrote more. I’m definitely more comfortable with PHP, thanks to a few WordPress projects.
The new year has me thinking about what goals to set for this year.
- Blog more, and better (yep, going to have to improve over last year).
- Learn more about HTML5 Boilerplate (and possibly add or create a new theme for my site that integrates it).
- Launch an Elon iMedia Community website, based on BuddyPress – something I’ve stated in 2011.
- Read more books on tech (first up is Designing with Progressive Enhancement then some of the books by Chip and Dan Heath).
- Become more proficient in project management (I know the basic principles, but want to grow my skills).