David A. Kennedy
To create usable websites with the latest web technologies, keeping users, content and accessibility in mind.
Automattic, 09/2014 – Present
- Help wrangle themes for WordPress.com, making them the best they can be and ensuring everyone can find a theme they love.
Chief, 01/2013 – 09/2014
- Help government web design and development become more open, modern and sustainable, working in-house for client, Consumer Financial Protection Bureau.
- Review and test projects for Section 508 and WCAG 2.0 compliance.
- Foster accessibility principles among colleagues.
Online Communications Manager
The Arc, 09/2010 – 01/2013
- Managed the national non-profit organization’s online presence.
- Oversaw the creation of digital elements of The Arc’s rebranding effort and the build and launch of the Autism NOW Center.
- Spurred the adoption of open source projects (WordPress) and the use of HTML5 on websites.
- Established a digital-first publishing mentality.
Fuel Brand, Inc., 07/2009 – 07/2010
- Wrote articles on writing tips and creative inspiration for other writers.
Multimedia Developer Intern
Guilford Technical Community College, 02/2010 – 05/2010
- Wrote script, designed and built Flash interface with Actionscript 2 for multimedia quiz.
Producer and Web Developer
Barrow Hill Junior School, 01/2010 – 02/2010
- Led team of 10 in the creation of a multimedia website that tells the story of a London elementary school.
- Shot photo and video content for project.
- Implemented final site design, using HTML, CSS and Flash.
Copy and Communications Associate
Graphik Dimensions, Ltd., 02/2008 – 07/2009
- Created a new, more engaging conversational voice for the company’s copy on its website and in its catalog.
- Organized the company’s organic SEO efforts, gaining traction in natural search.
- Established the company’s presence on Facebook and Twitter, gaining hundreds of new followers.
Editor, Copy Editor and Reporter
The Observer Newspapers, 02/2006 – 11/2007
- Covered a variety of beats as a reporter, producing an average of two stories a day and took photos to accompany stories.
- Designed inside pages daily and updated Web site daily.
- Led the paper’s transition from a five-day daily to a weekly as Editor. Supervised staff of three, planned content, edited copy, wrote stories and designed three-section newspaper.
Master of Arts in Interactive Media, Elon University 05/2010
Bachelor of Arts in Journalism, University of Central Florida 12/2003
Skills and Activities
Specialized: Web Accessibility, Writing, Photography, Video Editing, SEO, Social Media, Certified Scrum Master
Frameworks/Platforms: WordPress, Django (Templates), Blackbaud NetCommunity, Jekyll, Git
Software: Adobe Creative Suite, Voiceover
Open Source Contributions: Make WordPress Core Team, Make WordPress Accessible Team.